When it comes to self-care, I am the absolute worst. With so much other stuff going on, self-care is the very first thing that I will put to the wayside. Whether this lies in my sleep habits, diet, exercise, or simple things like skin care or mental relaxation. With this in mind, I am really trying to do better lately. I am determined that taking the best care of my body can only lead to better things.
One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to exercise more and be more aware of my diet, but it really should have been more self-care all across the board. In such, I have been trying to diligently stick to a new skin care regime to make my skin softer, smoother, and healthier even in the chilly weather.
What this looks like for me:
- Lots and lots of lotion – I made a trip to Bath and Body Works at the first of the year to step my lotion game up a notch. I already use Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisture Wrap everyday after my shower. But now I have added in a lavender aromatherapy lotion for Bath and Body Works just before I get in bed. I can actually really tell the difference! Plus the lavender helps me to fall asleep quickly.
- Bath salts and soaks – I swear by Dr. Teals bath salts and bath soak. Any of their flavors will do, but some are specifically designed with skin health in mind. I just tried out their charcoal flavored bubble bath, and its crazy how silky your skin can feel when you come out of the water. I also really like their Avocado flavored products. When my skin gets SUPER dry, Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatments are totally the way to go ( this is also great for taking the sting and dryness out of a bad sunburn).
- Lip moisturizer – I have been using EOS lip balm for years. The flavors taste great, they last a long time, and they have better ingredients. I am so prone to chapped lips, especially when its cold or windy; and I cannot stand that. So I have an EOS ball in my purse, in my car, in my desk, in my nightstand, on my dressing table, etc.
- Aloe – My face is very sensitive to moisturizers, make up, etc. So a few years back, I started using aloe as a daily facial moisturizer. It keeps my skin feeling so soft, and smooth. I like to apply it just after a hot shower.
- Vitamins – Just before New Year’s, I started taking a Centrum Multivitamin with Biotin for hair, skin, and nail health. It took probably 2 weeks to start noticing the change, but my nails especially are so much stronger. I also feel that my hair is growing so much faster. With this, I have to believe that my skin is a little healthier as well. In addition to the Biotin, I started taking a Collagen supplement a little over a week ago. Its a little too early to tell just how well this product is going to work for me, but I have heard that it is great for skin, hair, joint, nail, and gut help. Can’t wait to see how this one works!
- Charcoal Face Masks – Every time my facial skin gets a little dry and flaky (pretty often when its cold outside), I break out the charcoal mask. Because my skin is so sensitive, I particularly prefer the Origins Clear Improvement mask. You apply the mask, let it dry for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. It literally leaves you skin feeling so smooth, while also removing any pesky little blackheads.
Overall, skin care is something that I really try to take seriously. I can’t stand having dry skin or chapped lips, so I do everything I can to keep my skin hydrated during the brutal winter months. What are you all doing to take care of your skin this winter season? Am I missing anything? Looking forward to hearing from you all!